Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In between ice cream and next week

Ok, so we may still be waiting on the ice cream recipes, but I wanted to toss in an old recipe that I don't think I included and is by far one of my favorites.  The ingredient list is ridiculously simple as is the preparation... but I have never, not even once, had any leftovers.  I served it to someone who hates blue cheese, and they went back for seconds.  This baby goes over well every time and I love it.

Alright, I will get to the point.  Here is your grocery list; cherry or grape tomatoes, NY Strips (good ones), 1 container of crumbled blue cheese, balsamic vinegar, 1 container of fresh strawberries and baby spinach. Wasn't that simple?  Even my mother could figure out that ingredient list... i think.  Now that you are fully stocked, go fire up the grill.  But Carly, you say, I don't have a grill or I don't want to grill, or realistically I don't even know how to light a grill!  That's fine you can also sear the steaks in a pan then cook them in the oven till they are medium rare (medium if you're a wimp) ((if you are tempted to cook them past medium please stop reading right now because you and I will never really understand each other)).  Right before you sear or grill your steaks put what you would most likely consider to be an ungodly amount of salt and pepper on either side.  If you look ungodly up in the dictionary of Carly it means, give those bad boys a salt and pepper CRUST.  Please do not do this in advance, this is not a marinade.  If you do this and let the steaks sit at all you will do is suck all the moisture out and be left with a greyish rock, which more resembles a rotting organ than a delicious steak.  Just warning you.

While your steaks are cooking cut your strawberries into quarters and put in a pan with the entire container of blue cheese and a bunch of balsamic vinegar.  I have never once measured any of the ingredients in this recipe so I cannot help you on that level.  There needs to be enough vinegar to create a sauce, you aren't creating a reduction, just a sauce.  Put salt and cracked black pepper in here to taste.  You should cook it until all the cheese is melted and the strawberries are soft... yummmmm.....

Check your steaks...   Once they are done, pull your steaks off the grill and let them sit for a few minutes.

While they are resting, put the baby spinach on a platter and halve the tomatoes, which you will then toss onto the spinach.  Salt and pepper this as well, just a little.

Slice your steaks up and then once they are laying out all sliced and juicy, salt and pepper them again.  I know, I know, I salt and pepper every step of the way and you think I'm crazy.  What's crazy is that my food tastes better because I do this, so shut it.  I mean that with love.

Pour the warm strawberry balsamic blue cheese sauce over the steaks and let it sit for just a minute.  Now be brave and dump all of this on top of the spinach and tomatoes.  Voila!  Gigantic family style steak salad.  If you wanna change it up, sub figs for strawberries.

Toodles! Be back soon with the results of the ice cream extravaganza.


No comments:

Post a Comment